R|L Raminpour Law, PLC

Immigration Law

Schedule your FREE initial consultation today with one of our attorneys.

The information provided on this page is a summary of the services provided by Raminpour Law, PLC. It in no way constitutes legal advice.

With complicated new laws, confusing applications with numerous attachments, and a back-log of applications, the immigration process can be difficult and overwhelming. Oftentimes, unrepresented applicants are not aware that small discrepancies or mistakes in documents can create huge issues for your immigration case. They also may not be aware of problems or issues with their case until their options become extremely limited. Allow one of our experienced attorneys to assist you to make this process simple and stress-free. Based on our experience and knowledge, our attorneys will meet with you and honestly discuss the outcome of your case.

Family-Based Applications

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has immigration visas specifically designed to help U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents bring their family to the U.S. There are essentially two types of family-based immigration:

  1. Family-Based Immigration with Visa Numbers Immediately Available → includes the spouse and minor children of a U.S. citizen, as well as the parent of a U.S. citizen who is 21 years or older.
  2. Family-Based Immigration with Visa Numbers Not Immediately Available
    • First Preference: Unmarried children of a U.S. citizen
    • Second Preference: Spouse, minor children, unmarried children of legal permanent residents
    • Third Preference: Married children of a U.S. citizen; families of those children, including parents
    • Fourth Preference: Siblings of a U.S. citizen who are at least 21 years of age; families of those siblings

If the family member is outside the U.S., the process involves interaction with the National Visa Center, an arm of the U.S. Department of State.

Fiance/Fiancee Visas

We also have extensive experience assisting U.S. citizens obtain a visa in order to bring their fiancé(e) to the U.S. for the wedding. Once in the U.S., we can also assist in filing forms I-485 and I-765 to apply for permanent residency and/or employment authorization.

Usually, for a K-1 visa, the process begins with the filing of a petition. The approved petition is then forwarded to the embassy in your fiancé(e)’s country. Upon approval but before the interview, your fiancé(e) will receive a letter listing the steps to be taken prior to the interview. There are very strict requirements for submitting all necessary documents for eligibility, including:

  • Birth certificate
  • Valid passport
  • Certificate of divorce or death of previous spouse, if applicable
  • Record of addresses since age 16
  • Certificate of health from a consulate-designated doctor
  • Statement of intent to marry upon entry into U.S.
  • Proof of personal meeting within the last two years

Generally, your fiancé(e) interview will take place within nine months. Once the visa is issued, it is only valid for ninety days, during which time you must be married. Failure to be married in the U.S. within the ninety days may result in removal proceedings.

Self-Sponsored Visas

Under most circumstances, an individual seeking legal temporary or permanent residency in the U.S. must be sponsored by a family member or business. However, under certain conditions, USCIS makes it possible for a person to seek a visa through a self-sponsorship program. Self-sponsorship may be possible in the following situations:

  • Asylum applications
  • Battered spouses
  • Student visas
  • Victims of criminal activity